Thursday, November 20, 2008

APIIT UCTI 1st Inter College Danze2Nista Review


I am a very, very huge fan of So You Think You Can Dance! I know the winners of each season and I’ve watched every movie known to mankind which involves dancing. What I am trying to say is I just love everything that has to do with dancing. Thanks to the Dance Club in APIIT/UCTI who came up with the first ever Danze2Nista which is an inter-college online and reality dance tournament, I got a chance to see the best college dancers live!


It was a dark night that night. Not that it was raining but it was a Halloween themed event. They had what I would call ‘Mascots’ who really made the event what it was-SPOOKY!! It started off when all the lights went dim and there was a mini light show. 

Then, the music went off as well as the lights and it was dark and silent. Suddenly, music came on and there, standing in the middle of the stage with the spotlight shining on him was Two-Face! Next thing you know, he was modeling! 

Giving a few poses to the song “Fashionista” by Jimmy James. It was totally weird!

  After that, another mascot came on stage to model. It was the sad geisha. When people looked at her, they felt really sad for her. The make-up was so incredible it made the geisha look really sad at all times. Well, I too felt sad when I saw the make-up. It seems to have that effect on everyone. The worst part was, I had to act the part. Astonished? Well, you see, I was the sad geisha on stage.

 

            The whole night I had to walk amongst the guests looking and acting sad to entertain them. I knew I pulled it off because no one in college could recognize me throughout the event. It wasn’t just because my face was painted, they just could not figure out who the sad geisha was because of the way I acted my role. You see, everyone in college knew me to be the cheerful, bubbly, talkative girl who just can’t keep her mouth shut! But that night, I wanted to make my character come to life so I kept quiet the whole time with the perfect body language to top it off. It was really hard I tell you! At the end of the night, I really did feel like I was depressed and thought I had to go for therapy sessions to recover my true form again. But I got back to my old self after a few minutes. Haha!            

Anyway, I have to say the scariest mascots were the two masters of ceremony. The female MC was a demonic diva whose face was painted a much scarier version of the character Jack Skellington in “The Nightmare Before Christmas”. For the male MC, he was the wicked jester. There was painted blood dripping from his mouth. Let me tell you this, if kids felt scared of clowns after watching the movie ”It”, adults were afraid of jesters after seeing him.

The whole night, students from colleges all over KL showed off their talents and passion for music and dancing. I was shocked to see how well everyone performed. There were hip hop, break dancing, the Cha Cha and Cookie Monster. Yes, you read it right-COOKIE MONSTER! There was a group called Cookie Monster and they had on cookie monster t-shirts. They were so adorable!!

             

There was even a friend of mine who joined the competition. She is really shy in real life but I was just stunned at how well she could shake her booty like Beyonce on stage. 

Some of the performances were just mind blowing! For example, the winning group, A Crew, their hip hop and break-dance moves were choreographed and performed so brilliantly, it actually made the sad geisha smile with excitement. 

The first runner up was a Kazakhstan couple who danced the Cha Cha. The moves that girl had plus the super sexy dress she don made the guys mouths agape. I swear, They were drooling!       

Besides that, there was an online dance competition where students battled their way through in Super Dancer Online (XDO). I used to think computer games are easy to play but watching the participants move their fingers at the speed of light (If compared to the way I play) trying to outdo each other in the game made me realize that it was not an easy feat. If it was me, my hands would have been sore!
One thing I would like to add is the decoration done. APIIT/UCTI is a very small college yet, the organizers utilized every single space extremely well. The area where the cafeteria used to be was turned into a The Lounge and a clubbers spot. The whole area was dark with only UV lights lighting up the place with a faint blue glow and a DJ spinning at the clubbers spot where laser lights were flashing all over the whole night to entertain everyone at the lounge.

Lastly, which is my most favourite part of all was when one of the judges, 

Fellest Yan gave a performance before announcing the winners of the online and reality dance competition. He rocked the stage! The man was not only a marvelous dancer, he was also hot! My heart melted more and more with every move he made. There was only one word to describe it-YUMMY!

 

At the end of the night, even though some of the participants went home with minor cuts and bruises yet, everyone went home with a happy heart. It was an exhilarating experience and I can’t wait for it next year!

The APIIT UCTI 1st Inter College Danze2Nista Crew 2008

by Darshini Nadarajan

For more info on this events, do check out other blogs below or search for Danze2Nista in Google.com.


1 comment:

Dancesport Malaysia said...

Great blog! For the latest buzz on dancing, check out www.dancesportmalaysia.blogspot.com